[Xymon] Xymon Cron Question

Phil Crooker Phil.Crooker at orix.com.au
Tue Aug 20 01:33:01 CEST 2013

You can start with the help files, specifically:

http://www.xymon.com/xymon/help/xymon-tips.html#scripts

This shows about custom scripts. For me, the easiest way is to install a xymon client on the system you want to run this test on, then setup that client to do the test, see the clientlaunch.cfg file in the xymon client home etc directory. You add your test there, as in:

[dguard]
                ENVFILE $XYMONCLIENTHOME/etc/xymonclient.cfg
                CMD /bin/sh $XYMONCLIENTHOME/ext/dguard.sh
                INTERVAL 5m

So that script needs to run as the xymon user, so you need to test using that account. Then,  add whatever you call that test to the monitored host in the hosts.cfg (ie 10.1.2.35   hostname.domain    # ftp smtp dns mytest ).

The other way of doing it is to run everything from the xymon server, in this case you'd ssh (or however) to the host and run the command and return the results. It just depends on how you want to set up your xymon environment.

You may in fact be able to get whatever you are testing for from the xymon client - it does have a lot of state information to choose from.

Hope this helps,

Phil Crooker