[Xymon] DNS error

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Apr 17 02:00:30 CEST 2013

On 17 April 2013 02:51, Troy Adams <troy at athabascau.ca> wrote:

> A couple of my xymonnet tests are reporting "DNS error".

I use "testip" on pretty much all my hosts, and have explicit tests for
important DNS names.  I don't think it's helpful for a service to be
reported as unavailable, or not even tested, because a DNS lookup fails.
 (You can also run xymonnet with "--dns=ip" to get the same effect for
network tests.)

However the "testip" and "--dns=ip" settings don't apply to web tests.
 Instead, you use a special syntax in hosts.cfg, for example:

  10.1.2.3 # webserver1.example.com http://web1.example.com=
10.1.2.3/cgi-bin/testthis