[Xymon] Fwd: About CPU load

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Mon Apr 8 10:36:30 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-07 17:22, Operaciones wrote:
> Thank you Ryan, one ask, are there eny way for calc this?, or you
> suggest taht the better way is testing in each server?

Load average is a logarithmic method of measuring the run queue on your
system. The output of the 3 values gives you the run queue over 1
minute, 5 minutes and 15 minutes respectively.

An old rule of thumb was to have a load average of not greater than 2
per cpu, but this is generally site dependent. Are you going to be
sending out alerts for a high load? Do you _really_ want to be woken at
2AM cos the backup job has spiked the load?

I would advise you set the threshold a bit higher for your system
(perhaps 8.0 and 16.0, based on 4 cores) and then after a suitable time
period (perhaps 2 weeks) you can look at the CPU load graph to see what
kind of usage the system has and adjust accordingly. During this time
you probably don't want to send out alerts (but perhaps you do; your
call :) IMO, normally a spike in load is not an issue, but a a system
that over 6 months has an ever increasing load is a problem. This is
where the trends analysis function comes into it's own.

OF course load spikes can impact performance, but it is hard to gauge
exactly what that impact is from the load average alone.

Cheers

Iain