[Xymon] xymond_alert --test feature request

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Wed Apr 3 15:26:39 CEST 2013

> When using this facility, I've found it will show an alert for a service
> that is not being monitored. For example:
>
> host.cfg entry:
> 10.1.2.3    whatever.au   # http smtp NAME:"Sample Entry"
>
> alert.cfg entry:
> HOST=whatever.au
> 	    MAIL someone at whatever.au COLOR=RED
>
> So, if I do this test:
>    xymoncmd xymond_alert --test vho64pl09.orix.com.au blah
> it will return an alert.
>
> I understand that the alert.cfg just says to alarm on any RED condition,
> but it would be useful for this test to actually check that the service is
> in fact one being tested for. This already tests that the host has a
> hosts.cfg entry (very useful when working from a separate host list), it
> would be nice to extend this to the actual test as well - a single cross
> check on the whole chain of config files to ensure alerts are working as
> expected.
>
> thanks, Phil

Phil:

If you want to alert on a particular service, add "SERVICE=XXX,YYY" to the
entries in your alerts.cfg, a la:

MAIL email at address.com,email2 at address.com COLOR=red SERVICE=conn,cpu,disk

Which would send an email to the aforementioned email addresses, on a red
status, for services/facilities conn, cpu and disk.

This option, and more, are available in the MAN pages for the alerts.cfg.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

"It's always suicide-mission this, save-the-planet that. No one ever just
stops by to say 'hi' anymore." --Colonel Jack O'Neill, SG1