[Xymon] How to launch Xymon client on Ubuntu 12.04

Larry A. Rosen larry at digonex.com
Fri Sep 7 17:16:55 CEST 2012

Thanks for the info, I'm glad I am not nuts for not finding those files.  I installed the xymon-client package through Ubuntu's repo via apt-get
and I have it working now.

It is confusing since it uses the old hobbit naming for files. I typically like to get software like this from the author's source (i.e. sourceforge) rather than the distro maintainer since they (Canonical) usually change a lot of things that conflict with the original documentation and file structure.

Thu Sep 6 07:44:01 CEST 2012 Henrik Størner wrote:
>Seems to be a packaging error in the client-package - it doesn't include
>the /etc/init.d/xymon-client script.
>
>The real quick-and-dirty solution (until I figure out the Debian packaging bug) is to fetch the debian/xymon-client.init script from
>http://xymon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xymon/branches/4.3.10/debian/xymon-client.init?revision=7121
>
>Copy it to /etc/init.d/xymon-client, then run
>
>   chmod 755 /etc/init.d/xymon-client
>   update-rc.d xymon-client 98 02
>

>Regards,
>Henrik