[Xymon] diskstat.sh/RRD oddity

Don Kuhlman Don.Kuhlman at schawk.com
Thu Oct 18 18:21:22 CEST 2012

Thanks Jeremy.  Your input is much appreciated.

I agree and would rather perform all tasks I can directly with Xymon.

Don

From: Jeremy Laidman <jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au<mailto:jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au>>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:20:27 +1100
To: Don Kuhlman <don.kuhlman at schawk.com<mailto:don.kuhlman at schawk.com>>
Cc: Xymon Email List <xymon at xymon.com<mailto:xymon at xymon.com>>
Subject: Re: [Xymon] diskstat.sh/RRD oddity

On 16 October 2012 02:49, Don Kuhlman <Don.Kuhlman at schawk.com<mailto:Don.Kuhlman at schawk.com>> wrote:
PS – I'm using devmon too, but just getting into it.  It sounds like devmon may give you better/other  IO stats vs making custom Xymon graphs for disk io from the OS information provided.

I'd much prefer to use Xymon to collect the iostat disk details (into [iostatdisk] client data), and there's code in there to do this for Solaris.  However due to differences in how various OSes show their iostat output, Xymon support is not universal (yet).  Perhaps, now that "sar" is more widely used, and generally consistent among OSes, this would be a way forward to universal support for disk iostat graphs.

I have nothing against devmon - I use it extensively.  It's just that I would prefer to install and manage (and argue management for) one piece of software instead of two.