[Xymon] File monitor not working in Xymon - using file list generated by wildcard

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Oct 8 00:56:26 CEST 2012

On 6 October 2012 05:49, Don Kuhlman <Don.Kuhlman at schawk.com> wrote:

>  Hi folks. I believe the issue is my regex on the file name in the
> analysis.cfg.
> I've used about 15 different values and the only thing I seem to get
> working is using the direct full filename vs, a regex to match any files.

In regular expressions the asterisk is not a wildcard in the same way as in
DOS/Windows.  Instead, it is read as "zero or more of the previous
character or symbol."  So what you probably want is ".*".  The dot "." is a
one-character-width wildcard, which is why it needs to be escaped if you
want to match a literal dot.  So ".*" means zero or more of any character.

Also, a regular expression match is applied only when the match string
STARTS with a percent.

> However, using any combos that I can think of as a regex do not:
>  # FILE %/Volumes/MySQL_Backups/*\.sql red mtime<86400

Here, you are asking to match zero or more slash characters before a ".sql".

> # FILE /Volumes/MySQL_Backups/%*\.sql red mtime<600

Doesn't start with percent.

> #FILE %^*.sql red mtime>86400

Again, ".*" rather than "*".

> Can anyone suggest a way to format the analysis.cfg statement to match
> anything that ends in .sql ?

Try this:

FILE %/Volumes/MySQL_Backups/mysql_backup_.*\.sql red mtime<86400

This should go red if the matching file is older than 1 day.