[Xymon] xymon-mailack

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Oct 2 05:21:37 CEST 2012

On 29 September 2012 02:51, Ray Reuter <ray.reuter at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have created the .procmailrc file it looks like this. The file is in
> /home/xymon 755 permissions and owned by xymon:xymon I tried the ownership
> as root as well.
>
> DEFAULT=$HOME/Mailbox
> LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log
> :0
> | $HOME/server/bin/xymon-mailack --env=/home/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
>

> When I run it on the CLI using this command
>
> ./xymon-mailack --env=/home/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg --debug
>
> I get nothing, it just returns an empty line, and sits there. I must be
> missing something.

Yes you are.  The xymon-mailack program expects an email message on
standard input, and if run on the command-line your keyboard becomes
standard input.  You can do something like this:

xymon-mailack --env=... < sample-email

But first you need to put an email message into the file "sample-mail".
 You could create a file like this by temporarily removing the .procmailrc
file (to let messages go into the xymon user's mailbox) and then sending
the xymon user an email, and then copying a mail message from
/var/mail/xymon.  Note that the mailbox file can contain multiple messages
each separated by blank line+"From " (from-space), and you only want one of
them.