[Xymon] Combining Macros in alerts.cfg EXHOST?

Betsy Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:32:48 CET 2012

I'm trying to make my alerts.cfg a lot simpler.

I've got two macros defining groups of hosts. To simplify slightly:

        $NOPAGE=%(^*.eng|^netmon2).example.com
        $VIP=%(^web|^ftp|^mail-relay).example.com,web-vip,mail-vip

Each macro works by itself when I use it in a rule. However I want to
make a rule that groups these two together, something like so:

        HOST=* EXHOST=%($VIP,$NOPAGE) SERVICE=$SYSENG
         include syseng.escalation.cfg

I'm not getting this to work , with various combinations :
    %($NOPAGE,$VIP)
    %($NOPAGE|$VIP)

The rules are catching hosts in $NOPAGE but not in $VIP
I could make a third combined group, but since I've got other rules
that just apply to $VIP or $NOPAGE it would be nice to be able to do
this

thanks for any clues
Betsy