[Xymon] Client script using BB variables?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue May 15 14:08:26 CEST 2012

Hello,

Using Xymon 4.3.7, I am trying to install a BB client script onto a
Xymon client. However, the script uses some variables which no longer
seem to be available in Xymon. It uses the BBHOSTS and MACHINE
variables. It also accesses the 'bbaliasname' file, which too no longer
exists but seems to be able to be replicated in the hosts.cfg file.

The problem is basically that the client needs to look up its name in
the hosts.cfg file. But because that file doesn't exist on the client,
the script is going to fail.

Is there any way I can get this to work? One thought is for the client
to use the 'config' command to get the hosts,cfg file, but I have just
spent time trying to ensure that that sort of thing wasn't possible! (We
don't want users accessing any of the server files.) Secondly, of course
is how often do we download the file? In theory it should be at every
run of the script (every 5 mins) in case it (hosts.cfg) has changed, but
that seems excessive.

Thanks,

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001