[Xymon] "purple storm" example

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon May 14 07:32:11 CEST 2012

On 14-05-2012 04:04, Jon Dustin wrote:
>> What's logged in your xymonnet.log file ?
>
> All I found were the following two entries:
>
> 2012-05-12 20:58:14 WARNING: Runtime 481 longer than time limit (300)
> 2012-05-12 22:07:20 WARNING: Runtime 767 longer than time limit (300)

OK, if you look at the history of "xymonnet" status column, do you have
a yellow status from around that time ? If you do, then check what line
takes the longest time to complete.

How many systems are you testing, btw ?

There is one thing that I know of which can trigger this: xymonnet
relies on two external tools (ntpdate and rpcinfo) for checking
NTP-servers and RPC services. I know from personal experience that a
failed NTP server can cause ntpdate to hang for a very long time, and
this can block xymonnet from completing the test cycle.