[Xymon] vmware or similar virtual image

Benjamin P. August baugust at stanford.edu
Fri May 11 18:50:14 CEST 2012

I believe xymon ships with Debian (and thus, Ubuntu... not sure about the version, though). The learning curve for Ubuntu isn't that steep. If you went from XP to 7 or Server 2000 to Server 2008, you can set up an Ubuntu server. In fact, if you find any old Debian or Ubuntu VM image, all you need to do is "aptitude install xymon" (or do it through the Synaptic GUI).

I would, however, take exception to virtualizing your monitoring server... call me crazy or old-school, but it always seemed wrong to me. It seems part of your issue is that the VM image is too small. You may need to learn enough Linux to add a new disk to the VM and then move some data over to it. But this might be an issue for any virtualized solution.

Also... what Jon said.