[Xymon] Status lifetime - where?

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed May 9 18:09:58 CEST 2012

> On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 10:36 -0400, Ralph Mitchell wrote:
>> I don't recall seeing that on a xymon web page, but it's available
>> from the command line:
>>

>>      xymon localhost "xymondboard fields=hostname,testname,validtime"
>>

>> validtime is the unix timestamp in seconds when the status is no
>> longer valid.  Past that time, it turns purple.  Subtract that from
>> "date +%s" and divide by 60 to get minutes.
>>
> Thanks for this. However, what I think I need is to see where the
> 'validtime' is actually stored.

IIRC, this is in a structure that exists entirely in memory. It's
checkpointed every 15m (by default) in xymond.chk in your tmpdir, so you
could retrieve it from there if you need to. You can also send xymond a
USR1 signal to force an immediate checkpoint.

> I'm getting a little odd situation where if I send a status with a
> lifetime, then send a second status with a shorter lifetime, when that
> second one expires I then get a purple report. I *think* that is what is
> happening, I'm still testing it but getting a bit confused. I'll
> probably need to start from scratch (with a green status) tomorrow.
>
> The above xymon command shows that when the second lifetime expires the
> (reported) lifetime suddenly becomes the current time rather than the
> first lifetime or even the current time plus 30 mins. Hence, I would
> like to see what is actually being stored.

I believe xymond will always use the most-recent TTL for a status report
as canon. To wit: "The last report I got said to expect something else
within XX minutes."

Regards,

-jc