[Xymon] bbd going intermittently red on a busy Xymon system

Arunas Bendikas arunas.bendikas at gmail.com
Wed May 2 11:17:16 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I've got a few problems with my busy Xymon system (v4.2.3) on Solaris 10
and any help or ideas would be much appreciated. The bbd monitor
intermittently goes red. To investigate it, I've tried getting a response
from my proxy port (1984) every second for few hours using netcat.
Strangely, noted that Xymon proxy does not respond sometimes for 10-30
seconds to the network probe requests. I assume the Xymon client packets
queue up while the proxy doesn't respond and are not lost. BBgen reports we
have 750 hosts and 8293 status messages, but the hardware resources are
used only at 25% and the network doesn't seem to struggle at all. Also, it
reports the average queue time is 0.725. Could anyone tell me more about
bbd process, what config changes I can make to stop it going red? If you
need more details or config output please let me know.

Thanks,
Arunas