[Xymon] custom graphs problem

jef.jagers at thomsonreuters.com jef.jagers at thomsonreuters.com
Mon Mar 26 16:18:20 CEST 2012

Hi All,

After half a day searching for the problem, why my custom graph for my
test isn't showing properly in xymon, I'm reaching out to you guys.

I have googled quite a bit but none of the explanations and/or
suggestions (which I all tried) are working for me.

It is probably something stupid I'm missing or doing wrong but I'm not
able to put my finger on it.

Version: Xymon:              4.3.7

Rrd version:                        rrdtool-1.2.12-13.2

Problem:

I have a custom scripts, that runs about every 5 min, that gives
following output in xymon: (the open threads line shows as a separate
line in the source html)

The number of open threads can vary from 0-500.

_________________________

Hostname - ThreadCount

Mon Mar 26 15:48:05 CEST 2012

open threads : 41

Status unchanged in 4 hours, 35 minutes

Status message received from xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

__________________________

I added the necessary in xymonserver.cfg and it looks like this:

_________________________________

TEST2RRD="cpu=la,disk,inode,qtree,memory,$PINGCOLUMN=tcp,http=tcp,
<......more.....>,ThreadCount=ncv, <......more.....>,xymond"

NCV_ThreadCount="openthreads:GAUGE"

GRAPHS="la,disk, <......more.....>,ncv, <......more.....>,ThreadCount"

________________________________

I added the required to graphs.cfg and it looks like this:

_________________________________

                [ThreadCount]

                                 TITLE ThreadsCount Info

                                YAXIS Threads

DEF:threadcount=ThreadCount.rrd:openthreads:AVERAGE

                                LINE2:threadcount#0000FF:open threads

                                COMMENT:\n

                                GPRINT:open:LAST:open threads \:
%5.1lf%s (cur)

                                GPRINT:open:MAX: \: %5.1lf%s (max)

                                GPRINT:open:MIN: \: %5.1lf%s (min)

                                GPRINT:open:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf%s (avg)\n

                                _________________________________

Below is the upper most part of a rrdtool dump of the rrd file that gets
created succefully. (ThreadCount.rrd):

___________________

<!-- Round Robin Database Dump -->

<rrd>

                                                <version> 0003
</version>

                                                <step> 300 </step> <!--
Seconds -->

                                                <lastupdate> 1332770292
</lastupdate> <!-- 2012-03-26 15:58:12 CEST -->

                                                <ds>

                                                                <name>
openthreads </name>

                                                                <type>
GAUGE </type>

<minimal_heartbeat> 600 </minimal_heartbeat>

                                                                <!-- PDP
Status -->

<last_ds> UNKN </last_ds>

                                                                <value>
7.8720000000e+03 </value>

<unknown_sec> 0 </unknown_sec>

                                                </ds>

I tried several stuff to change the output of  my script (open_threads,
openthreads), but that changed nothing. (I did restart xymon numerous
times after removing the created rrd files)

Per info: I started with following site:
http://www.xymon.com/xymon/help/howtograph.html

All suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

Jef