[Xymon] Tricky one for log file monitoring

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 11:32:43 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 13:40 +1100, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM, John Horne <john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Within swatch could you not use the 'exec' command to invoke 'xymon' to
> > update the Xymon server? Something like (completely untested!):
> >
> >   watchfor = /low dhcp pools/
> >      exec = xymon <xymonserver IP> 'status <localhostname>.dhcp red
> > `date` DHCP pools getting low!'
>
> Won't the test go purple after a while?

As it stands, yes, so maybe use something like 'status+5d'.

> A way to get around this would be to create a status file, and then
> have another process "refresh" Xymon based on the content of the file:

To achieve this with our old BB system with TheState, we had an 'expire'
time included in the status message. A separate process then ran every 5
mins or so and looked for 'expired' statuses and deleted them. This then
allowed a 'default' status to be shown (usually green). (Sorry probably
didn't describe that too well, it is a tad complex but has worked well.)

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001