[Xymon] Tricky one for log file monitoring

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 12:32:45 CET 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 12:11 +0100, henrik at hswn.dk wrote:

> This raises two interesting ideas:
>
> 1) We should have status-messages that don't expire (go purple). Using a
> very long status lifetime is a kludge, really.

Hello,

We have a similar requirement to the OPs. What would be nice is for the
'xymon' command to have a 'remove' command which would remove a
(permanent, non-purple) status for a given host/service. Along with the
remove command would be an 'ID' which must be the same as that sent with
the original status message. That way only known ID statuses could be
removed, any unknown ID caused the remove to be ignored.

I won't go into details, but we have been running BB for several years
using an in-house modified 'TheState' BB addon. This allows us to send
permanent (non-purple) status messages when an event occurs, and then
can remove them when required (via a web frontend which simply calls the
'bb' command to talk to the server).

What the OP has asked for we already do here, it is on my TODO list to
see how we can get Xymon to do it too! :-)

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001