[Xymon] NOCOLUMNS - override .default. ?

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Tue Mar 13 05:49:13 CET 2012

John,
> Hello,
>
> Using Xymon 4.3.7 I have specified a '.default. entry in hosts.cfg which
> includes the NOCOLUMNS tag. The hosts.cfg man page says that per-host
> definitions will override the default ones. However, that doesn't seem
> to work with NOCOLUMNS.
>
> Hosts.cfg contains:
>
> =========================
> 0.0.0.0   .default.  # NOCOLUMNS:files,memory,ports,info,trends noclear
>
> 141.163.141.163  server-1  # testip conn !ftp !smtp !telnet dns ntp bbd
> ssh swap memory ports
> =========================
>
> However, the memory and ports columns do not appear at all.
>
> Does anyone know if this is a bug or the way things are supposed to
> work?

It's the way they are supposed to work. In your server-1 line 'memory
ports' is probably not doing anything.

hosts.cfg allows tags against host names, but that is not a strict
correspondence with columns, and does not override NOCOLUMNS:

The only way I could see that working would be to put a different
NOCOLUMNS: on server-1 - e.g.

141.163.141.163  server-1  # testip conn !ftp !smtp !telnet dns ntp bbd
ssh swap NOCOLUMNS:files,info,trends

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you'd want NOCOLUMNS:info,trends as a default

You can also use group-only and group-except to hide certain columns in
some displays. Can be useful if you have hosts displayed on multiple
pages for example.

David.

--
David Baldwin - Senior Systems Administrator (Datacentres + Networks)
Information and Communication Technology Services

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.