[Xymon] How to setup a custom script to attempt server logons and other functions

Larry Barber lebarber at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 00:07:11 CET 2012

I typically use Python with pexpect to do this sort of thing. The folowing
snippet will log on to a Brocade switch, run a command and return the
result:

while True:
        logon_cmd = 'ssh ' + cfg_file.getVal("remote_user") + '@' +
remote_host
        #print 'logon_cmd = ' + logon_cmd
        child=pexpect.spawn(logon_cmd)
        i = child.expect(['password:',pexpect.EOF],timeout=10)
        if i == 1:
                print "EOF-1 returned"
                time.sleep(30)
                continue
        child.sendline(cfg_file.getVal("remote_pw"))
        remote_prompt = cfg_file.getVal("remote_prompt")
        i = child.expect([remote_prompt, pexpect.EOF],timeout=10)
        #returned_lines = child.after
        #print returned_lines
        if i == 1:
                print "EOF-2 returned"
                time.sleep(30)
                continue
        remote_cmd = cfg_file.getVal("portshow_cmd")
        #print "remote_cmd = " + remote_cmd
        child.sendline(remote_cmd)
        i = child.expect([remote_prompt, pexpect.EOF],timeout=10)
        if i == 1:
                print "EOF-3 returned"
                time.sleep(30)
                continue