[Xymon] Client data?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Mar 7 23:00:41 CET 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 13:43 -0800, cleaver at terabithia.org wrote:
> On Wed, March 7, 2012 12:36 pm, John Horne wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Using Xymon 4.3.7 I see that most (possibly all) of the services being
> > monitored for a host contain a link in the web page saying 'Client data
> > available'.
> >
> > By clicking on the link I can see that it shows some info about the
> > host, but my question is why? What is this link for?
> >
> > As far as I can tell there is no way to disable the link from appearing.
> > Is that correct? It may be that we would prefer not having the link
> > present, so preventing users from seeing info about the host itself.
> >

> It really shines when the [hostdata] task is enabled (by default),

Okay, not sure what this is but I'll take a look tomorrow (haven't
looked at 'tasks' at all yet).

> Need to see what process was running when disk use rose above 95%? You
> can.

Ah, okay. Yes I can see that would be useful.

> I don't think there's a specific way to prevent the client report link
> from being visible, short of patching.

Yes, I can see that it only requires commenting out one line (in
htmllog.c I think), but obviously would rather not unless required.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow at the info displayed and see if maybe
we're being a bit too paranoid? :-)

Thanks,

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001