[Xymon] smtp alert problem/bug

F.Reenders at utwente.nl F.Reenders at utwente.nl
Fri Jun 22 11:21:25 CEST 2012

Hello,

When I get an alert for the smtp test I get the WARNING message as a normal e-mail (text).
The RECOVERD e-mail always is an attachment file with the .bin extention.

On this list people suggested it was a mail server problem. MS Exchange did have this behavior in the past.
Now I looked a bit closer to the mailx command xymon uses to send it.
This is in the mailx man page:

       Mailx  expects input text to be in Unix format, with lines sepa‐
      rated by newline (^J, \n) characters only.  Non-Unix text  files
       that use carriage return (^M, \r) characters in addition will be
       treated as binary data; to send such files as text, strip  these
       characters e. g. by

              tr -d '\015' <input | mailx . . .

       or fix the tools that generate them.

It seem that the RECOVERD message coming from xymon contains a “\r” character.

I think the output/e-mails in xymon should replace the “\r” with “\n” characters.

Regards,

Frederik Reenders, Systeembeheerder
ICT-Servicecentrum
Universiteit Twente, Postbus 217, 7500 AE Enschede
Telefoon 053 489 6723
f.reenders at utwente.nl<mailto:l.m.visscher at utwente.nl>, http://www.utwente.nl/icts/