[Xymon] Monitoring a simple cluster

White, Bruce bewhite at fellowes.com
Thu Jun 21 23:18:27 CEST 2012

I have a couple of "traditional" active/passive clusters.  For items
that need to be present on all nodes, I sue the standard monitoring
available with xymon and it's client.  For things that need to only
appear on the active node,  I handle in one of two ways.

Way #1 -  I created striped down Xymon clients which runs with the
application within the cluster.  I have HP service Guard clusters, so
this is easy to do within their frame work of scripts handling most
everything.   I create a new client within the disks which migrate
within the cluster, edit the  xymonclient-<O/S>.sh script within this
new client directory structure and assign an IP/host in the hosts.cfg
which matches the IP which floats within the cluster.  I pull all the
CPU, memory, etc. stuff out of the new xymonclient.sh and focus on the
disks, procs, ports, etc. which tend to be very application specific.
I let standard Xymon take care of the rest.

Way #2 - I setup the IP/Host which matches the floating IP under cluster
control and run scripts from the Xymon server pointing at the floating
IP.  The scripts report status to the Xymon server using the Name
associated with the floating IP, so to the outside observer it looks
like a new server, but its just an application running where it needs to
under cluster control.

For check just SMTP the second might be the way to go, as you could just
use the standard Xymon SMTP test to see that SMTP is running on the IP
which floats.

            ......Bruce