[Xymon] Hand editing config files

W.J.M. Nelis Wim.Nelis at nlr.nl
Wed Jun 13 17:28:45 CEST 2012

Hello Henrik,

> And it has made me consider the idea of using a database for storing at
> least some of the configuration - first of all the hosts.cfg
> configuration of hosts, IP-adresses and network tests. This would make
> some things simpler, others a bit more complex - "xymongrep", for
> instance - but would also make it a lot easier to provide a GUI for
> managing what hosts are being monitored.
>
> This is not going to happen anytime soon, but since the subject was up
> in the air - what do you think about it ? Is it a major problem that
> Xymon has all configuration in text files ? How many of you
> auto-generate the Xymon config by extracting the information from a
> database already ?
Well, in our case most of the hosts.cfg is generated from a database. Text
files do offer an important feature: grouping. A group of devices can be
put into a single (physical) file, which is included, either directly or
indirectly, in hosts.cfg. Rewriting an included file thus means that a
group of definitions is replaced by another group. Often the differences
will be small, but that is not necessarily so.

Such a grouping, of the devices to be monitored, the tests to be performed
on each and of the associated layout, is a handy feature, which I would
like to see in future versions as well.

Regards,
   Wim Nelis.

The NLR disclaimer is valid for NLR e-mail messages.

This message is only meant for providing information. Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual
or legal commitment on the part of the sender.
This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are not the addressee or if this
message was sent to you by mistake, you are requested to inform the sender and delete the message.
Sender accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the electronic
transmission of messages.