[Xymon] why do you use xymon?

Norbert Kriegenburg norbert.kriegenburg at de.ibm.com
Thu Jun 14 15:48:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

I second all these points, and would like to add some more:

I don't know any other solution where I'm able to rollout the client agent
without root rights.
We created a script to rollout and configure the base Xymon agent without
any root access (only the user must be there), including a cronjob to check
and start the client, inserting the ssh keys and so on.
No /etc/init.d entry or so. 30 seconds job.

Even our DMZ hosted clients work over a ssh tunnel and port forwarding via
ssh port 22. No extra hole in firewall, no entry in /etc/services.

And one more point: I would never trust a monitoring solution where I
cannot see an only demo. Sometimes I can find some nice screenshots, but
never this kind of live system view like xymon.com!

such a great product with a great community

Norbert