[Xymon] why do you use xymon?

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Jun 13 20:08:29 CEST 2012

> I took a quick look at the Zenoss community page, and fairly quickly
> noticed one interesting thing - apparently it's agentless.   No agent to
> install on target systems, because it picks up information using SNMP.
*snip*
> Ralph Mitchell

This always kind of bugs me when discussions on monitoring systems come
up, or specifically when trying to get Xymon adopted...

"Agentless" doesn't really mean agentless. snmpd is an agent -- just as
much a daemon as xymonlaunch -- and with a much more complicated
configuration file if you want to extend and expand what it's doing.

And while computers like dealing with OIDs, running 'xymon "query hostname
disk"' is a heck of a lot easier for a human to do.

If you can get the discussion in terms of either "which agent is easier to
manage on the system to do what we need to do", or polling vs. pushing
generally, you might have more avenues of approach.

HTH,

-jc