[Xymon] xymond core dumping, not restarting correctly

Clark, Sean sean.clark at twcable.com
Wed Jun 13 15:03:14 CEST 2012

I've had xymond core dump on me twice now since updating to 4.3.7

It's dumping with:

#3  0x080632b3 in sigsegv_handler (signum=11) at sig.c:57
#4  <signal handler called>
#5  0x006a46f9 in strcasecmp () from /lib/libc.so.6
#6  0x08067215 in binsearch (mytree=0x9509038, key=0x322e3432 <Address 0x322e3432 out of bounds>) at tree.c:47
#7  0x080673e8 in xtreeDelete (treehandle=0x9509038, key=0x322e3432 <Address 0x322e3432 out of bounds>) at tree.c:253
#8  0x0804c652 in clear_cookie (log=0x233ced58) at xymond.c:1163
#9  0x0804c704 in find_cookie (cookie=0xbfc30c02 "546260") at xymond.c:1183

And

#3  0x080632b3 in sigsegv_handler (signum=11) at sig.c:57
#4  <signal handler called>
#5  0x006a46f9 in strcasecmp () from /lib/libc.so.6
#6  0x08067215 in binsearch (mytree=0x8773038, key=0x10 <Address 0x10 out of bounds>) at tree.c:47
#7  0x080673e8 in xtreeDelete (treehandle=0x8773038, key=0x10 <Address 0x10 out of bounds>) at tree.c:253
#8  0x0804c652 in clear_cookie (log=0x1ca5cbe8) at xymond.c:1163
#9  0x0804c704 in find_cookie (cookie=0xbf905e72 "97097") at xymond.c:1183

I've tried it on two machines, to rule out any weird hardware/RAM issues, and it still happens – and when it crashes, a stale xymond stays, preventing it from auto restarting and binding to port 1984, making me have to go in, kill everything, remove the .chk file (as it has that out of bounds status message still in the chk file)

Makes for an irritating time – they were different host/test combinations causing the crash

Any ideas on what to do next? Is it just something like max_msg that is causing an Out of Bounds crash?

--

Sean Clark
Sr. Engineer, Software