[Xymon] why do you use xymon?

Sean MacGuire sean at maclawran.ca
Wed Jun 13 02:58:57 CEST 2012

Jones, Elizabeth wrote:
> Would any of you mind telling me why you use xymon? I have a co-worker
> who is pushing hard for zenoss, and his arguments include “gui discovery
> tool”, “no hand editing of config files”, “it is an enterprise level
> monitoring system and you can buy support and bring in a consultant to
> set it up for you”, and the ever popular “everyone is using zenoss now”.

GUI discovery tool is nice.
No Hand editing of config files is nice too.

If you're desperate to give people money, you can buy Big Brother
from Quest (hey, it's Xymon compatible!)

Buying support and consulting? - If you need it, I'm sure even
the original author of Big Brother could provide it... or any
number of people on the list.

Ultimately, I've found the best way to handle these situations
is to run the systems in parallel, monitoring the same things
at the same time.  Choose N systems.

A winner will emerge quite clearly, and I'm sure if you need
any help the list will prevail :)
Sean MacGuire                                 sean at maclawran.ca

Key West                                        +1 305 390 0888
The best way to predict the future is to invent it. -  Alan Kay