[Xymon] Dir monitoring

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Jun 5 07:51:15 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Michael Beatty
<Michael.Beatty at sherwin.com>wrote:

> My client-local.cfg needed a command
> dir:`find /var/mqm/log/*/active`

Yes, this collects the data on the client and sends it to the server with
all the rest of the client data.

> and my analysis.cfg needed a regular expression
> DIR %/var/mqm/log/*/active$ yellow SIZE<25000

This tells the server what to look for in the client data.

> So, my checks are now checking.
>
> However, ALL of the checks for all of the directories listed in the
> client-local.cfg are being listed for all of the hosts regardless of
> what tags I have in the analysis.cfg.  My assumption here is that the
> web page will display ALL the data that is sent from client-local.cfg,
> but will only alert on what is configured in analysis.cfg?  Is this
> correct?

Correct.  It will display all client data.

> If so, it would appear that I need to setup wildcards for host names in
> client-local.cfg... is this supported?

Or, you can be a bit trickier in your client-local.cfg file.  For example:

dir:`find /backup/local/mq -type d 2>/dev/null; [ "$(uname -n | grep _02)"
= "" ] && find /var/mqm/log/*/active -type d 2>/dev/null`

This is untested, but should demonstrate the basic idea.  Play with it
until the string between the backticks runs correctly on every host you
want to include, and shows only the correct files for each host.

Cheers
Jeremy