[Xymon] DNS test timeout for a downed DNS server.

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Tue Jul 24 22:17:33 CEST 2012

Xymon 4.2.3. One of the DNS servers we monitor was down. The bbtest
total time went from under 30 seconds to over 900 seconds almost all
of which was for the DNS test.

This caused a number of problems. I removed the dns tag from the down
server and the time dropped back to the normal level.

The mysteries to me are why did Xymon continue to test the DNS service
on that server while the conn test was red? Why did it
take 900 seconds for it to time out, even though I was running with
--dns-timeout=60? ( I.e. I can understand that it might take longer
than with the default dns timeout, but not 900 seconds.) The color for
the dns test for that host was clear and displayed the following text:

Service dns on dns.server.org is OK
Dialup host/service, or test depends on another failed test
Host appears to be down

Timeout

Seconds: 900.042

It also stopped recording data in the graph.

And more importantly, is the behavior still the same in 4.3.9?

Thanks,
Steve Holmes
Purdue University