[Xymon] Hand editing config files

Ulric Eriksson ulric at siag.nu
Sat Jul 14 09:09:52 CEST 2012

Xymon User in Richmond skrev 2012-07-14 00:11:
> On Fri, July 13, 2012 16:27, Ulric Eriksson wrote:
>>
>> There is no benefit to running the database on the same host as Xymon,
>> for several obvious reasons.
>>

> I'm apparently too dense for the reasons to be obvious. It seems to me
> that the obvious benefit of having it on the same host is that he still
> has access to his configuration data in the event of a network issue on
> his path to what would otherwise be his database service.

Here are a bunch of reasons that are obvious to me, at least:

  - Load distribution: do not burden a loaded xymon server with the
additional burden of a database.

  - Compatibility: there are many, many database vendors and nobody
wants xymon to be dependent on whatever platforms they choose to support.

  - Management: at least in larger organisations, there is usually a dba
group responsible for running databases, a different skillset from
running xymon.

  - Availability: many databases have clustering, replication and other
features that maximize availability and minimize downtime.

  - Consistency: several xymon hosts can access the same data, which
does away with rsync scripts and other ugly hacks to keep configuration
in sync.

I suggested in an earlier message that the configuration could be
fetched from the database by the xymon hosts and cached locally in a
format that can be used immediately by xymon, for example the exact same
format that is used today. If the database becomes unavailable for any
reason, all hosts would still have the last known configuration.

Ulric