[Xymon] network hiccups causing false positives to be sent

Root, Paul Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Mon Jan 23 15:25:35 CET 2012

Well, you could write a script, that is tripped off by your systems failing the ping. Then in that script, ping yahoo or whatever, and if that succeeds, send your alert on.

Paul Root    - Engineer III
Managed Services Systems - CenturyLink

From: xymon-bounces at xymon.com [mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] On Behalf Of Tom S
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:49 AM
To: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: [Xymon] network hiccups causing false positives to be sent

So our crappy server host (1and1) seems to be getting random network spikes causing false alert emails to be sent out with Critical notifications.
I understand I can set alerts.cfg to only alert after a certain duration of red but we need notifications to be sent right away in case of production downtime.

Is there an option where I can have XYMON ping a certain host, and if that host is unreachable to ignore any other alerts?
eg.  I can run a ping on yahoo.com<http://yahoo.com> and example.com<http://example.com> , if either of those as any connection issues, to ignore all other alerts for the time being?

tia.

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication