[Xymon] Where to find the latest hostdata (or: How to monitor one process on two servers)?

White, Bruce bewhite at fellowes.com
Thu Jan 12 20:04:23 CET 2012

Actually, I have multiple HP Service Guard clusters which have the same
basic issue you listed for your VCS cluster.  I solved the issue by
copying the Xymon client directory on the cluster node and naming it
something which matched the "package" name (or Service Group in VCS),
editing down the xymonclient-hp-ux.sh to just date, df, mount, and ps
sections.  I added the stop/start of this new client process into the
Service Guard Package start-up script (VCS service Group stop/start
scripts). With careful ignores in the analysis.cfg (was
hobbit-clients.cfg) file, I control what disk space is monitored by
which client process.   I then added an entry in the hosts.cfg (was
bb-hosts) file with the IP associated with the Package (Service Group).
No matter where the Package (SG) is running on the cluster, the info is
passed back to Xymon.  If a Package is not running, then the client
stops.  Of course if the Package is down for any time, Xymon could turn
the "conn" dot red and send out alerts.  I can also monitor at the new
package client level any processes particular to that package and not
worry what server is actually running the package. If they stop, the
package alerts, not the node in the cluster.  I also added a custom
script to monitor the output of the cmviewcl command (cluster status
similar to the hastatus -summary command in VCS).  If the output
indicates a failure (package or node) then this test (running on each
node in the cluster) goes red and I get an alert that something on the
cluster is not good.

Hope that helps,
Bruce

 Bruce White
 Senior Enterprise Systems Engineer | Phone: 1-630-671-5169 | Fax: 630-893-1648 | bewhite at fellowes.com | http://www.fellowes.com/

Disclaimer: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Fellowes, Inc.