[Xymon] Xymon client only reports once

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Feb 14 20:59:13 CET 2012

On Mon, February 13, 2012 8:13 pm, Mark wrote:

> I've installed Xymon on my home network as testing for a possible
> installation
> at work.  It's working fine on three out of the four systems, but on the
> fourth, the client only reports its status to the server once, immediately
> after being started.
>
> The problem computer is a Pentium MMX with 48MB RAM, running Gentoo Linux.
>
> It looks as if the client is getting hung in the process of sending the
> second
> report: "ps aux" shows a sleeping "xymonlaunch" process, and the XYMONTMP
> directory contains a "xymon_vmstat" file with a timestamp five minutes
> after
> the successful update.
>
> I could probably work around this with cron job to restart the client
> every
> five minutes, but I'd rather fix it properly.  Any suggestions on what
> might
> be going wrong, or other things I could look at?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Wagner

The vmstat file there sounds normal... Can you run xymonlaunch with
--debug and see what it's reporting back? Also, strace what it's doing
when the next expected run occurs?

For testing purposes you can bring the interval down to 30s or so. The
only change you should notice is having multiple backgrounded vmstat
processes going at once in a round-robin fashion.

-jc