[Xymon] XyMon msg metric - how to check log entries only since last check?

Andrey Chervonets a.chervonets at cominder.eu
Thu Feb 9 12:29:19 CET 2012

One my friend using old Hobbit 4.x version told that it always check new
entries only.
I am using XyMon 4.3.4.

Can anyone test your versions/installation for this behaviour?

In clientclient-local.cfg I has found:

# The following configuration items are currently possible:
#   "log:FILENAME:MAXDATA"
#       Monitor the text-based logfile FILENAME, and report  back at
most MAXDATA bytes. The Xymon client will
#       only report back entries generated during the past 30 minutes,
so MAXDATA is an upper limit.

But my exprience show - it just reads up to MAXDATA and analyse and show
all, not just last 30 min.
Or may be it expected timestamp in file in some known format?
If yes, then more questions:
a) Is it possible to define ather timestamp formats xymon can understand?
b) is it possible  to change check interval 30 min to some other - for
ALL logs/hosts or just some?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Andrey Chervonets