[Xymon] Blog entry about Big Brother

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Mon Feb 6 18:16:43 CET 2012

On Mon, February 6, 2012 5:11 am, Xymon User in Richmond wrote:
> On Sun, February 5, 2012 22:46, Sean MacGuire wrote:
>> Guys:
>>
>> I'm no longer with Quest, and for those who don't know me, I'm the guy
>> that wrote the original Big Brother.
>>
>> If you were an old brother, you can see what happened in the blog entry
>> here: http://blog.maclawran.ca/what-next
>>
>> And a great big thanks to Henrik for keeping the community going.
>>
>> Ironic - I may end up having to use *your* software :)
>>
>> Take care guys! -- Sean MacGuire
>
> Great to hear from you, Sean.  I ran BB on hp-ux 7 back in the day and was
> on the old list.  Thanks for a tool that let me spend time on architecture
> and projects instead of "making rounds" of my servers every day. Henrik
> has done a fantastic job of extending the functionality and making things
> scalable, but BB was the swiss army knife of its day.

I still remember being introduced to BB one day by the grizzled Academic
Computing admin at SDSU back in '98 when I was working as a tech in one of
the labs. He was was using it to monitor various University Computer
Operations boxes, and I ended up writing a classic Mac OS scriptlet to
report in the AppleShare IP servers we were responsible for too.

Been a promoter of BB, and then Henrik's re-implementation, at every ISP,
managed server company, and production installation I've been at since.
It's fast, simple, shows what admins care about, and hides what we don't.

Thanks for everything you've done! It's sad to see (and confirm) what
Qwest did, but I'm glad you've been able to take it well.

Regards,

Japheth "J.C." Cleaver