[Xymon] DAT attachments?

Scott Pfister icepickjazz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:00:36 CET 2012

We had similar problem about a year ago.  We moved our xymon server from
fedora core 3 to SLES 11.  Fedora used mail and SLES 11 mail is linked to
mailx.  The windows clients were sending carriage returns in the status ^M
(carriage return).  The problem occured on SuSe server but not on redhat
server, because mailx expects input text to be in Unix format, with lines
separated by *newline* (^J, \n) characters only. Non-Unix text files that
use *carriage return* (^M, \r) characters in addition will be treated as
binary data.  Hence the reason we get notifications that showed up as
attachments. Also explains why our  AIX servers didn't have the problem and
the windows servers did.  We tried creating a filter by setting  MAILC="tr
-d '\015' but had problems.  We didn't spend much time on it.  We switched
to mutt.  MAILC="/usr/local/bin/mutt".  Problem went away.