[Xymon] Xymon security concern raised

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Sat Dec 8 04:41:36 CET 2012

On 12/5/2012 1:38 PM, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:

> My understanding is that it's fairly easy to do, also. I don't know if
> having a proxy in between helps at all or any of that, but my
> understanding is that what's sent is fairly simple and plain text (I
> believe there's info about the protocol in the manual).
>
> That said, I'm not 100% sure what nefarious thing someone could do
> with that information. I guess they could open the rlogin port or
> something and then send a status message to indicate it's still closed?

Nefarious users can create false alarms that must be investigated.  They
can "drop" your host entries and therefore wipe out incredible amounts
of RRD graph history.  If you have tests with delayed notification, it
would be possible to prevent notifications on real alarm conditions.
There are probably other nasty things I haven't thought of.

Thanks,
Shawn