[Xymon] newline character needed for "xymon" command?

Michael Beatty Michael.Beatty at sherwin.com
Tue Dec 4 19:38:21 CET 2012

A bug maybe?

I have a custom perl script that is called by clientlaunch that runs
some tests.  I am calling the xymon via system and passing the arguments
for the alert.  As an example:

system("/home/xymon/client/bin/xymon 127.0.0.1 \"status+1h
myhost.mycolumn yellow My stauts message\"");

When the command runs, everything seems fine.  Until I drill down into
the history.  When I go into the "Historical Status" screen for an
alert, the status message is crammed in with the "unchanged in" line on
the page.  It looks like:
***
My status messageStatus unchanged in 0.00 minutes

Status message recived from 1.1.1.1
Client data available
***

It doesn't happen on the main alert pages, only in the Historical Status
pages.

What I did to fix it, was to put a newline character at the end of all
of my messages:
system("/home/xymon/client/bin/xymon 127.0.0.1 \"status+1h
myhost.mycolumn yellow My stauts message\n\"");

The newline corrects the formatting on the alert message and it displays
property, however, I'm not sure this should be like this. Is the newline
character supposed to be necessary?