[Xymon] WG: Xymon and BBWin: issue with special german characters in MS Windows service names

henrik at hswn.dk henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Aug 9 14:59:14 CEST 2012

Hi,

> I think, since my Windows servers are running the BBWin client in local
> mode, the “mechanism” doesn’t use the analysis.cfg (?).

Correct, when you are running in local mode then the status-messages
(which determine the color of each status) are generated locally on your
Windows server. That is why e.g. you don't have a "ports" status with BBWin
running in local mode (at least not with BBWin 0.12 - not sure about 0.13).

Re. your original question about BBWin:

> One of the services is the “MSExchangeMailSubmission”, but this is
“just”
> the service name. I think in Xymon (or better: in BBWin) one has to
include
> the display name of the service one wants to monitor (?). The thing is,
> that the display name of this specific service is “Microsoft
> Exchange-Mailübergabe”. That’s it. The special german character “ü”
screws
> up the setup in that way, that this particular service won’t get
displayed
> in my setup.

I am not sure if BBWin uses one name or the other; looking at the example
of "Automatic Updates" seems like you could be right. It may be better to
ask about this on the BBWin mailing list.

As to Torsten's comments about testing this in central mode:

> I had a similar problem monitoring ports on a Windows server with german
> Windows.
>
> There I had to escape the special characters since a netstat did not
show
> "LISTEN" but "ABHÖREN".
>
> Unfortunately I do not remember what exactly I did but in my
analysis.cfg
> there is now something like this:
>
> LOCAL=%[.:]135$ STATE=ABH<99>REN ....

then all of the text-strings you use in analysis.cfg may be regular
expressions. So you could use "STATE=%ABH.REN" to match anything at the
location of the O-umlaut character.