[Xymon] iostat - how?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Aug 1 22:26:38 CEST 2012

Hello,

I have been looking to see if we can get some 'iostat' data into Xymon.
However, I see that the graphs.cfg and xymonserver.cfg files already
seem to be ready for an 'iostat' test. I also see that the code has a
'xymond/rrd/do_iostat.c' module.

However, I am not seeing any iostat graphs anywhere. A quick google
seems to indicate that others have set up their own iostat script and
run that on the client. Yet, Xymon itself looks like it is expecting
iostat data, and so should be able to produce graphs.

So I'm a bit confused. If I want to monitor iostat data (I'm thinking of
the wait and service times, and the percent utilised (busy)), what do I
have to do to supply that data to Xymon? Do I need to modify the
'client/bin/xymonclient-linux.sh' script to include an '[iostat]'
section? Or do I need to write an external script, and create my own
'iostat' test (but in that case what is the do_iostat.c code for)?

Thanks,

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001