[Xymon] MAXMSG_STATUS and MAXMSG_CLICHG - Long email

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Apr 27 00:17:54 CEST 2012

> While tweaking things I noticed my messages may have been truncated, which
> I believe leads to invalidate status and emails (now using html_mail.pl)
> I changed the values in xymonserver.cfg as shown below:
> MAXLINE="32768"
> MAXMSG_STATUS="384"
> MAXMSG_CLIENT="1024"
> MAXMSG_DATA="1024"
>
> Are there going to be problems on the xymon server with me making these
> values larger?  Should I add a MAXMSG_CLICHG setting to fix the "Oversize
> clichg" truncation?

*snip*

> Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Don K

I've been running at:

 MAXMSG_STATUS=4096
 MAXMSG_CLIENT=5120
 MAXMSG_DATA=4096
 MAXMSG_NOTES=4096

... for years now, mainly due to some legacy installs that sent high-res
sar data in client messages and some bulky xml in http content checks.

I haven't noticed any problems outside of the increased memory usage.

IIRC, unless you set it manually MAXMSG_CLICHG will take the value of
MAXMSG_CLIENT

HTH,

-jc