[Xymon] xymon iostat causing problems on loaded box, how to mitigate?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Sep 12 21:56:03 CEST 2011

On 12-09-2011 20:04, Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
> We're seeing problems with xymon iostat hanging on heavily loaded,
> massively large database servers. These boxes are on Oracle RAC
> clusters with EMC storage devices attached. iostat -x shows 16572
> lines. When the box starts to have problems for *other* reasons, all
> of the iostat commands start hanging or taking forever, further
> bogging the system down. And making xymon look really bad ...
>
> I'm wondering - what does xymon do with all this information?
>
> How much of it can I turn off without confusing the server?

xymon doesn't use the iostat information, it is just picked up together
with the other client data. So if it is causing you problems, by all
means do remove that from the client-side script.

I have similar problems on some Windows boxes, where the various Windows
clients' scanning the eventlog causes a high load on the server - I have
no qualms dropping the event log monitoring in that case. Monitoring
systems that kill the server they are monitoring is not a good thing, IMHO.