[Xymon] Issues after upgrade from 4.2.3 to 4.3.5

Ryan Skadberg skadz at skadz.com
Thu Oct 27 00:01:28 CEST 2011

Hi All -

  I've been running hobbit/xymon for a long time, but I've finally just
joined the list due to a number of issues after I upgraded from 4.2.3 to
4.3.5.  I walked through and fixed all the file names and everything SEEMS
ok, but am seeing a number of strange things:

a) When I start up xymon, I don't get my previous state back.  The xymond
options have:

--restart=/usr/lib/xymon/server/tmp/xymond.chk
--checkpoint-file=/usr/lib/xymon/server/tmp/xymond.chk

And the files has data:

8136 /usr/lib/xymon/server/tmp/xymond.chk

But when I restart the server or service, I seem to lose all data and
anything that has been disabled or acked is now once again back to it's
starting state.

b) I can't seem to add new machines.  I add a machine to hosts.cfg and
analysis.cfg and it shows up on the web page, but it never seems to
actually receive any data.  I've tried reloading the service, but that
doesn't seem to help.  I even tried something like:

xymon localhost 'enable machine.company.com'

But it did not help.  I see on the Ghost client page that it seems to
recognize the correlation as it has a candidate, but isn't doing anything.
 Do I need to do something different with this newer version to enable a
machine instead of just adding it to the two files?

c) Last issue is very similar to the previous issue.  I removed a machine
from the hosts.cfg file, then ran:

xymon localhost 'drop machine.company.com'

But when it didn't check in for an hour, it still seemingly went purple and
sent out emails/pages.  I did a reload on the service and this now seems to
have stopped, but I don't think it should have happened in the first place.

d) I get startup errors that don't seem to make a ton of sense:

In xymonlaunch.log, I see:

2011-10-25 12:11:51 xymonlaunch starting
/usr/lib/xymon/server/etc/tasks.cfg
2011-10-25 12:11:51 Cannot open directory
2011-10-25 12:11:51 Cannot load host data
2011-10-25 12:11:51 Cannot access checkpoint file
/usr/lib/xymon/server/tmp/xymond.chk for restore
2011-10-25 12:11:51 Setting up network listener on 0.0.0.0:1984
2011-10-25 12:11:51 Setting up signal handlers
2011-10-25 12:11:51 Setting up xymond channels
2011-10-25 12:11:51 Setting up logfiles

As I said, I am seeing all of the hosts that I have in the system and have
double checked the permissions and the xymon user can most definitely access
all of the files, so why am I getting these errors?

[xymon at vir5ob xymon]$ whoami
xymon
[xymon at vir5ob xymon]$ wc -l /usr/lib/xymon/server/tmp/xymond.chk
8136 /usr/lib/xymon/server/tmp/xymond.chk
[xymon at vir5ob xymon]$ ls -als /usr/lib/xymon/server/tmp/xymond.chk
31756 -rw-rw-r-- 1 xymon xymon 32474378 Oct 26 17:54
/usr/lib/xymon/server/tmp/xymond.chk

I am also seeing:

2011-10-26 17:54:50 Cannot load host data

in my xymond.log every 10 minutes.  As I said, any files seem to be
accessible as far as I can tell, but maybe since the error message is not
very verbose, I am not looking in the right place.

I know these probably all seem like newbie questions, but I have done all
the debugging I seem to be able to do and can't figure anything out on
these.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Skadz