[Xymon] Xymon Server Multihomed

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Oct 21 02:40:09 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Denis <denis at crewhub.net> wrote:
> I'm searching an easier way to configure my xymon 4.3.5 server other than specifying @IP at each test necessary in hosts.cfg.

I think there are only two ways to do this: append "@IP" to every
test; and define FPING to be "xymonping --source=IP".  Obviously, the
latter only works with ping/conn tests, and I don't think it gets used
if "--ping" is on the xymonnet command-line (in tasks.cfg).  From
reading the source code, I can't see any other mechanism for
overriding the O/S-provided address.

There's probably a way to do this using policy routing.  If a policy
route is selected, and the "src" hint is defined in the route table
entry, then it will be used for the source IP address.  A route table
entry can be selected based on a "mark" applied by netfilter
(iptables).  You can mark a packet based on things like the PID, UID
and GID of the process, and the process command-line.  It sounds like
a lot of fun, but it's not something I'd want on my networks.