[Xymon] what's the "actual memory"?

henrik at hswn.dk henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Oct 17 13:57:18 CEST 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:13:23 +0100, "Neil Simmonds"
<Neil.Simmonds at express-gifts.co.uk> wrote:
> I was having a quick look at my PC this morning and Xymon is reporting
> the following
>
> Physical           2329M       3567M         65%
> Actual               49M       3567M          1%
> Swap               3162M       7132M         44%
>
> Physical looks about right as Task Manager is showing 2.32Gb in use.
>
> I've had a look at Resource Monitor in Windows 7 and it looks like the
> Actual is labelled there as "modified"?
>
> As my swap file is 3567M and my physical is also 3567M (4Gb installed
> but 32bit system) the total shown in Swap appears to be actually the
> total memory not just the swap file.

I don't know what client you're using, but I guess both BBWin and others
use the Windows API function "GlobalMemoryStatusEx" to get the memory
statistics. A description of the data from that function is here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366770%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Maybe they should start using the newer GetPerformanceInfo() function, but
that one didn't exist when I wrote the bb_memory tool back in 2004...