[Xymon] RFE: message encryption

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 23:07:48 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Rob Munsch <Munsch at phillycarshare.org>wrote:

>  > At present, I have a work-around.  Instead of using
> > bin/xymon to send
> > > messages, I'm using curl to post the message file to
> > > https://server.domain.com/xymon/upload.php.  On the server
> > side, the
> > > upload.php script simply drops the message file into
> > xymon's incoming
> > > stream, just as if it were delivered over the net by bin/xymon.
> >
> > Good idea.  I almost can copy this approach.
> >
> > > The client side has the server's CA cert to validate the connection
> > > and the data flow is encrypted in transit.  I could use
> > client certificates as well.
> >
> > But I think this approach only works for Linux xymon client,
> > since curl is readily available.
> > Preparing curl for other Unix(say HP-UX) and Windows  will be
> > a big challenge.
>
> Actually....
>
> http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
>
> Wanna run it on Haiku? How about an Amiga? :)

Beat me to it...  :-)    We've got the script running on some IBM AIX boxes
here.  I think the curl version is something ridiculous, like curl-7.9, but
it still delivers.  That particular version is not built with SSL, so it
won't do secure connections.  We have HP-UX as well, but no Xymon client on
that (yet).

I've lost *some* functionality, because I'm only installing the shell
scripts, not any compiled binaries.  That way, if I have to, I can show that
it's just a script using utilities supplied along with the OS, same as
anyone can type in to discover machine status.  Plus it's easier for other
people to maintain.

Ralph Mitchell