[Xymon] Big Environment

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Oct 4 14:45:42 CEST 2011

On 04-10-2011 14:24, Gautier Begin wrote:

> I'm planning to use XYMON with a big amount of clients: 1000 and then 4000.
>
> Is it possible ?
> Are there some tipps and limitations to know ?

I have about 6000 clients on one installation in Copenhagen - so yes, it
is possible.

The only real problem I've seen is the amount of disk I/O done for all
the RRD (graph files) updates. Xymon has some built-in caching of
updates to reduce the actual amount of disk I/O needed, but even then it
can put a rather large load on your I/O system.

My current solution is to use SSD disks for the RRD files - even the
smallest SSD disk can easily handle the amount of data you have from
4000 clients.

Alternatively, setup a 10 GB RAM disk for the RRD files, then run rsync
regularly to copy them over to permanent storage.