[Xymon] Install Xymon 4.2.2 on Solaris 10 Sparc

Sailesh sailesh.mohabeer at mns.intnet.mu
Fri Nov 18 08:51:31 CET 2011

Dear All,

After much effort I have been able to successfully install and configure
xymon-4.2.2 on Solaris 10.

1.       Please find below the package required:-

apache-2.2.21-sol10-sparc-local

libtool-2.4-sol10-sparc-local

db-4.7.25.NC-sol10-sparc-local

make-3.82-sol10-sparc-local

expat-2.0.1-sol10-sparc-local

openldap-2.4.24-sol10-sparc-local

fontconfig-2.8.0-sol10-sparc-local

openldap-2.4.26-sol10-sparc-local

fping-2.4b2-sol10-sparc-local

openssl-1.0.0e-sol10-sparc-local

freetype-2.4.2-sol10-sparc-local

pango-1.18.2-sol10-sparc-local

ganglia-3.0.7-sol10-sparc-local

pcre-8.20-sol10-sparc-local

gcc-3.4.6-sol10-sparc-local

prngd-0.9.25-sol10-sparc-local

glib-2.25.13-sol10-sparc-local

render-0.8-sol10-sparc-local

jpeg-8a-sol10-sparc-local

 renderproto-0.9.3-sol10-sparc-local

jpeg2ps-1.9-sol10-sparc-local

rrdtool-1.2.19-sol10-sparc-local

jpeginfo-1.6.1-sol10-sparc-local

sasl-2.1.25-sol10-sparc-local

libart_lgpl-2.3.19-sol10-sparc-local

 tar-1.26-sol10-sparc-local

libgcc-3.4.6-sol10-sparc-local

unrar-3.68-sol10-sparc-local

libiconv-1.14-sol10-sparc-local

xrender-0.8.3-sol10-sparc-local

libintl-3.4.0-sol10-sparc-local

xymon-4.2.2.tar

libpng-1.2.44-sol10-sparc-local

zlib-1.2.5-sol10-sparc-local

2.       Entry on root profile. On Solaris 10, /etc/profile

PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/uc
b:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/lib

The profile entry should be in that order.

3.       After make & make install, use default apache2 web server on
Solaris 10. It is installed on /etc/apache2. It can be started on Solaris 10
as mentioned below:-

# svcadm enable svc:/network/http:apache2

Go to the ~/server/etc/ directory.

more hobbit-apache.conf

use the entry on this file to update the httpd.conf for your apache server.
I am attaching mine httpd.conf for all of you to have an idea.

4.       Next, for my case, I had to add my library path to start hobbit
server. Please see my hobbit.sh file.

#!/bin/sh

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.19/lib

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

# Startup script for the Hobbit monitor

#

# This starts the "hobbitlaunch" tool, which in turn starts

# all of the other Hobbit server programs.

case "`uname -s`" in

   "SunOS")

        ID=/usr/xpg4/bin/id

        ;;

   *)

        ID=id

        ;;

esac

if test `$ID -un` != root

then

        echo "Hobbit must be started as the root user"

        exit 1

fi

case "$1" in

   "start")

        if test -s /var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid

        then

                kill -0 `cat /var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid`

                if test $? -eq 0

                then

                        echo "Hobbit appears to be running, doing restart"

                        $0 stop

                else

                        rm -f /var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid

                fi

        fi

         /xymon/hobbit/server/bin/hobbitlaunch
--config=/xymon/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitlaunch.cfg --

env=/xymon/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
--log=/var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.log --pidfile=/var/l

og/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid

        echo "Hobbit started"

        ;;

   "stop")

        if test -s /var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid

        then

                kill -TERM `cat /var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid`

                echo "Hobbit stopped"

        else

                echo "Hobbit is not running"

        fi

        rm -f /var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid

        ;;

   "status")

        if test -s /var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid

        then

                kill -0 `cat /var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid`

                if test $? -eq 0

                then

                        echo "Hobbit (hobbitlaunch) running with PID `cat
/var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunc

h.pid`"

                else

                        echo "Hobbit not running, removing stale PID file"

                        rm -f /var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid

                fi

        else

                echo "Hobbit (hobbitlaunch) does not appear to be running"

        fi

        ;;

   "restart")

        if test -s /var/log/xymon/hobbitlaunch.pid

        then

                $0 stop

                sleep 10

                $0 start

        else

                echo "hobbitlaunch does not appear to be running, starting
it"

                $0 start

        fi

        ;;

   "reload")

        if test -s /var/log/xymon/hobbitd.pid

        then

                kill -HUP `cat /var/log/xymon/hobbitd.pid`

        else

                echo "hobbitd not running (no PID file)"

        fi

        ;;

   "rotate")

        for PIDFILE in /var/log/xymon/*.pid

        do

                kill -HUP `cat $PIDFILE`

        done

        ;;

   *)

        echo "Usage: $0 start|stop|restart|reload|status|rotate"

        break;

esac

exit 0

NB. Please check path as for me I had to modify it.

5.       After starting hobbit server check for errors  on /var/log/xymon
path and /var/apache2/logs path. I had one more modification where I had to
put the path for libraries on all scripts. The cgi-bin and the cgi-secure
folder where all scripts are kept. Please vi all the scripts on both folder
and add the library path. For me it was as below:-

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib; /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.19/lib

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

For me this has work and I am able to monitor my servers.

Now I want to monitor my oracle databases. Can anyone help me how to monitor
my oracle database. Where to put the scripts for performace tuning,
tablespace space etc.

Regards,
Sailesh