[Xymon] graphing.

Root, Paul Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Wed Nov 16 01:24:36 CET 2011

We have a netcool machine that is getting events stuck in it, and we've written a client side script that is run by an automation inside the server.   It puts out data like this:

Process code of zero - green

Events : 198

We want to graph this over time to see if we can see a trend.

So I added it to the end of TEST2RRD
TEST2RRD="...,xymond,nfmsgw=ncv"

And at the end of the file I put
NCV_nfmsgw="Events:GAUGE"

I restarted xymon, just killing xymond_rrd didn't work for me.

I got an rrd file, and it's looking fine:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE rrd SYSTEM "http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/rrdtool.dtd">
<!-- Round Robin Database Dump -->
<rrd>
        <version>0003</version>
        <step>300</step> <!-- Seconds -->
        <lastupdate>1321402656</lastupdate> <!-- 2011-11-15 18:17:36 CST -->

        <ds>
                <name> Events </name>
                <type> GAUGE </type>
                <minimal_heartbeat>600</minimal_heartbeat>
                <min>NaN</min>
                <max>NaN</max>

                <!-- PDP Status -->
                <last_ds>383</last_ds>
                <value>5.9748000000e+04</value>
                <unknown_sec> 0 </unknown_sec>
        </ds>

        <!-- Round Robin Archives -->
        <rra>

So, now however, I'm lost on the actual graph creation. I don't understand the GPRINT lines at all, are they putting in legend or min/max history? Or is it defining the scale of the graph. And I'm not too sure about the DEF line either, what's the keyword AVERAGE saying there?  The data is all integer, number of events, do I sti

I basically just stole the lines from hobbitd since that's the same sort of data.

[nfmsgw]
        TITLE NFMS Gateway Events
        YAXIS Unprocessed Events
        DEF:events=nfmsgw.rrd:Events:AVERAGE
        LINE2:events#00CCCC:Unprocessed Events
        GPRINT:events:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:events:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:events:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:events:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n

Anybody have any help?

Thanks,
Paul.

Paul Root    - Engineer III
Managed Services Systems - CenturyLink

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly