[Xymon] procs mix windows and unix tests...

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Wed May 25 19:04:11 CEST 2011

I've been struggling with a similar problem, but trying to differentiate
between Solaris global zones and non-global zones. I want to check for a
proc existing on the global zones, but don't want to require that proc in
the non-global zones.

It appears, from my testing, that the CLASS rule directive and tag are not
honored for the PROC test.

I am going to be testing the applicability of the PAGE directive next. I
don't really want to have to least each of the hosts I want the PROC test on
and can't use the built in OS class (e.g. sunos or linux) because not all
hosts of a give OS class have the process running.

If anyone else has solved this problem there are at least 3 of us who would
like to know.

Thanks,
Steve Holmes
Purdue University

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Soporte Infraestructura Operativa y
Almacenamiento <soopal at ice.go.cr> wrote:

> Besides pertinent comments from a few ones (when I have asked about
> advice/BP on hobbit-clients.cfg) ... Anybody have a clue about why procs
> tests show all procs from windows/unixses boxes instead the specific
> ones....
>
> ---parts of hobbit-clients.cfg
> CLASS=win32
>                LOAD 78 98 # Load threholds are in %
>                TIME=*:0635:1825   #alarmas rojas/amarillas en este
> intervalo (8x5)
>                SVC uvnc_service status=started #UltranVNC encendido
>                SVC TermService status=started  #TS encendido
>                PROC winvnc.exe 1 25    # Al menos un proceso de Ultravnc
>                PROC BBWin.exe 1 1      # Solo 1 proceso de monitoreo
>                PORT STATE=LISTENING MIN=0 TRACK=Listen TEXT=Listen
>                LOG eventlog:System  %error.* COLOR=clear       #No nos
> interesan los logs
>                LOG eventlog:Security  %failure.* COLOR=clear   #No nos
> interesan los logs
>                LOG eventlog:Application  %warning.* COLOR=clear        #No
> nos interesan los logs
>                LOG %.*  %error -.* COLOR=clear #No nos interesan los logs
>                #DOWNTIME=*:1830:0630 #puede apagarse en ese rango (8x5)
> debe ir en bb-hosts
>
> HOST=hssftp01 (no specs added since the class have all what  I need)
>
> CLASS=SZCSolSFTP
>                UP 45m
>                TIME=*:0000:2400   #alarmas rojas/amarillas en este
> intervalo 8x5+/24x7
>                PROC sshd 1 -1 yellow
>                PROC in.ftpd 1 30 red
>                PROC cron 1 -1 yellow
>                PORT "LOCAL=%([.:]21)$" state=LISTEN TEXT=ftp
>                MEMSWAP 25 55
>                MEMPHYS 99 101
>                MEMACT 90 98
>                LOAD 8 10
>                CLOCK 95
>                #DOWNTIME=*:1205:1210 #puede apagarse en ese rango
> (8x5+/24x7) debe ir en bb-hosts
>
> DEFAULT
>        # These are the built-in defaults.
>        UP      1h
>        LOAD    8.0 10.0
>        DISK    * 97 99
>        MEMPHYS 100 101
>        MEMSWAP 50 80
>        MEMACT  90 95
>

> ----parts of bb-hosts file
> 10.xxx.xxx.xxx  hssftp01.hss.dnm.icetel.ice     #       COMMENT:"FTP Server
> 01"         CLIENT:hssftp01 CLASS:SZCSolSFTP                testip  prefer
>  multihomed      ssh files ports uptime vmstat ftp procs
>  TRENDS:*,ifstat
>

> ------Error that I received with procs test enable. (and it’s a unix box)
> red Mon May 2 13:43:32 CST 2011 - Processes NOT ok
>
>  sshd (found 3, req. 1 or more)
>  ntpd (found 1, req. 1 or more)
>  httpd (found 12, req. 1 or more)
>  cron (found 1, req. 1 or more)
>  cron (found 1, req. 1 or more)
>  %hobbitd (found 26, req. between 1 and 1)
>  winvnc.exe (found 0, req. between 1 and 25)
>  oracle.exe (found 0, req. between 1 and 1)
>  BBWin.exe (found 0, req. between 1 and 1)
>  winvnc.exe (found 0, req. between 1 and 25)
> [...]

The strongest natures, when they are influenced, submit the most
unreservedly; it is perhaps a sign of their strength. -Virginia Woolf,
writer (1882-1941)

Truth never damages a cause that is just. -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
(1869-1948)